Students for Renewable Energy
Students for Renewable Energy (SRE) takes action to move beyond fossil fuels in a just transition toward sustainable energy systems by engaging the community through education and advocacy for climate justice. We work with local community groups as well as with various on-campus groups to promote sustainable practices in our community.
Earlier fall of 2016 we:
- Stood in Solidarity with Standing Rock by joining the Bellingham No DAPL coalition, organizing a march/rally with over 250 people, raising over $1000 for Standing Rock, and pressuring local officials to take action in support of Water Protectors.
- Worked with the Associated Student’s Office of Representation in a Get Out the Vote Campaign.
Ongoing and future campaigns include:
- Move local institutions to divest from fossil fuel companies and banks that fund colonial projects while reinvesting in a regenerative economy. Continue relationship building with foundation staff to divest Western.
- Support Indigenous sovereignty and frontline communities, such as the Lummi Nation, Standing Rock, Unist’ot’en Camp, and Lelu Island.
- Advocate for a just transition to a clean energy economy and support renewable energy projects. Specifically, drop a third of Western’s carbon emissions by securing university support for PSE’s Green Purchase Program to build a wind farm through our Wind Farm for Western Campaign.
Contact us at: [email protected]
CCN School Contact: Hanna Bridgham ([email protected])